How to fix 0xc0000142 Error: The application was unable to start correctly
By Renee | 04/Dec/2023
The Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142).
Usually, when you see the computer error with number format like 0x00000XXX (stands for digits), it should blame on the DLL files 70% (sometimes could be the conflicting software’s problems). In this article, we won’t talk much about DLL file but how to fix 0xc0000142 error with the message shown above. If you want to learn something about DLL, you could read What is DLL file? Or other materials about DLL file online.
How to fix error 0xc0000142
Solution 1 Remove programs installed recently
If your computer has newly installed some programs and applications, try removing them one by one to see if the 0xc0000142 error message still occurs.
Some users reported when they uninstalled the programs listed below and reinstalled it, and the 0xc0000142 error was fixed successfully.
NVIDIA GeForce Experience
Solution 2 Run Command Prompt
1. Go to Task Manager>Startup tab and disable unnecessary third-party programs when starting your Windows. Then Reboot your computer.
2. Right-click on the Start menu and select Command Prompt (Admin).
3. Type or copy the command line below after C:\Windows\system32 and hit the Enter:
for %1 in (%windir%system32*.dll) do regsvr32.exe /s %1
4. Wait for a while until it ends the rolling screen. Then restart your computer.
Solution 3 Modify the registry
If some programs were not removed thoroughly, it will also cause the 0xc0000142 error and make the conflicting programs unable to start correctly.
Please note that if you are not familiar with Windows registry, it is not recommended to modify the Registry in irreversible PC problems occur.
1. Press Win + R on the keyboard to launch Run command.
2. Type regedit into the dialog box and press the key Enter.
3. Locate the file below in the pop-up Registry Editor:
4. Delete the segments of the programs from the right column. Then close the Window and restart the PC to see if this works.
Solution 4 Troubleshooting common computer errors with Neptune SystemCare
Sometimes it could be comprehensive reasons that cause 0xc0000142 errors.
1. Run Neptune SystemCare on your computer.
2. Click on PC Checkup and wait for the results. Click Fix button to solve the common problem.